(Credit: courtesy of Guinness World Records, Rockstar Games)
Released on 17 September 2013 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles, the fifteenth title in the Grand Theft Auto series, GTA V, was the first main entry since Grand Theft Auto IV in 2008.
Rockstar Games, the title's developer, announced last month that the game sold 11.2 million units in its first 24 hours, netting $815.7 million in revenue. Sales reached $1 billion after three days on the market.
The figure smashes records previously held by the Call of Duty videogame series and blockbuster movies including The Avengers and Avatar.
Full list of Grand Theft Auto V record-breaking achievements:
1. Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours.
2. Best-selling videogame in 24 hours.
3. Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion.
4. Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion.
5. Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours.
6. Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours.
7. Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame.